[LAU] Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - reliable?

From: Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 28 2015 - 18:19:21 EET

Hi all,

My dual Delta 1010 setup is on its last legs and I'm thinking (again) of
retooling with a Saffire Pro 40. I've been bitten in the past by upgrades
like this which is why I'm still on the 1010s, but there's only so many
times I can repair them before I have to admit defeat.

Is anyone out there actively using a Saffire Pro 40 in a serious setting?
Is it reliable for low latency, with all channels working at once? Does it work
with any recent ffado, or do you need specific versions, patches or anything
else?

I've read plenty of vague comments about which firewire chipsets might be
good or not, but are there known-good PCI Express firewire cards that are a
sensible price and work well?

I'm really hoping for "Yes, I've been using one for a year and it's rock
solid," rather than "I've googled and it claims to be supported," or "Yes,
it's fine if you pull the latest beta7 branch from git and only use Acme
2000 firewire interfaces." Sorry to sound unduly cautious or skeptical ;)

In short, if I bite the bullet, retire my Delta 1010s and buy a Pro 40, are
the drivers and tools now at the stage where I reasonably expect to be up and
running again in a day rather than still fighting problems a week later?

Cheers,
bjb