Re: [LAU] Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 - reliable?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 01 2015 - 19:24:18 EET

On Sun, 1 Mar 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> PID CLS RTPRIO NI PRI %CPU STAT COMMAND
> 44 FF 90 - 130 0.0 S irq/8-rtc0
> 199 FF 85 - 125 0.0 S irq/18-snd_hdsp
> 206 FF 80 - 120 0.0 S irq/20-snd_ice1
> 213 FF 79 - 119 0.0 S irq/21-snd_ice1

I would invert the order of these three. The ICEs seem to be sensitive to
this. Because they are on their own irq, you can order them by irq instead
of name. In other words I would put irq 21 at 85, 20 at 80 and 18 at 79.
If I wanted the hdsp first (I would) I would move it to the slot that has
irq21 if I could. Changing my ens1370 so it was lower irq than my ice1712
got rid of problems for me... this would indicate something is not right
with one of the irq services as this is not supposed to happen.

> 78 FF 75 - 115 0.0 S irq/19-ehci_hcd
> 81 FF 75 - 115 0.0 S irq/16-ohci_hcd
> 94 FF 74 - 114 0.0 S irq/17-ohci_hcd
> 100 FF 73 - 113 0.0 S irq/17-ohci_hcd
> 42 FF 70 - 110 0.0 S irq/1-i8042

As you are using the ICEs for MIDI, I would assume you are not using USB
for anything audio and therefore take USB right off the list letting
irq17,16 and 19 have standard priority of 50. You may have a hard drive
you use for recording on USB... but I wouldn't. Besides, all your internal
drives are down below already, your mouse may be pre-empting disk writes.

> 30 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S irq/9-acpi
> 61 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S irq/42-radeon
> 82 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S irq/14-pata_ati
> 83 FF 50 - 90 0.0 S irq/15-pata_ati

If any of these things will help or not, it is hard to say. I don't use
dual ICEs so I have not dealt with that. But I have run two audio cards
with no problem using zita-a2j on the second. (the second is only 16 bit
so combining it with the ICE in a multi would be problematic)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net