Re: [LAU] Cutting the USB cord :-)

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2015 - 00:11:09 EET

On Tue, 3 Mar 2015, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> I have been trying to strategize cutting the USB cord (right now, one USB, one
> Firewire...) for my portable synth on and off for a long time; I really don't
> like wearing out USB ports and cables !!!!  Was just perusing some of the AoIP
> conversation and thinking...and then a thought was given, did a search, and
> found:
>
> https://www.hifiberry.com/

It says it is a DAC. Don't you need an ADC?

> So, at least in theory, for about $160 or so, I could get one of those and an RPi
> 2.0 starter kit, run netjack and qmidinet, and have a 96kHz wifi audio interface
> with MIDI...?  Anyone see an obvious catch?

As someone else said, "WIFI". This part is: "please try this and tell us
all how it goes." Because this is a stage/live setup, I would question
using 96k, but trust that you have your reasons. I am thinking an OPUS
link would be advantageous because it may handle dropped packets better
than PCM and still has good latency performance.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net