Re: [LAU] Raspberry PI, internal audio IF + testing new USB IF

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2015 - 00:35:46 EET

After doing several Raspberry Pi projects, I'm very negative on them, and will never use them or recommend them again.

The built-in audio is crap, it's not even 16-bit.

The power management and regulation is non-existent and sucks. Raspberry Pi's have destroyed a half-dozen SD cards of mine. The people in the Pi community just shrug about this. It's unacceptable to me.

USB is a joke on Raspberry's. I wouldn't even try to use a USB device. The Raspberry developers solved this problem by doubling the number of USB ports on the new B+ units... without fixing any of the problems... so now you can have twice the fail.

Ethernet is a joke; it's a USB device. To get the Pi to work reliably, I've had to turn off USB2 mode anyway, so the Ethernet is beat-the-dog slow too.

There's no databook for the chip, last I checked. Oh sure, there's a PDF documenting a few of the features of the I/O ports. There's no actual databook, like any good CPU core or SOC would have.

There's no real bootloader. Some call it a feature, I don't. There's no built-in flash either (another thing touted as a feature that I consider a design limitation).

I don't consider it economical since once you add up all the things you'll need to get it to do work, you could buy a better-engineered platform for the same price. And the Pi is slower than many of the other platforms in its price range.

I'd instead recommend the BeagleBone Black for projects if you want a mature, well-documented platform, or any number of the new exciting ARM-based platforms coming out if you wanted to venture into something new.

I've done a few projects using the Pi over the past few years, both pro-bono and professionally, and I would not recommend the platform to anyone.

Sorry, I like to stay positive but my experience with Raspberry's has not been good.

Keep looking and you'll probably quickly find something that works.

-ken

--
---------