Re: [LAU] Ardour export question...

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 08 2015 - 23:58:40 EET

On Sun, Mar 08, 2015 at 08:34:42PM +0000, alexus / dotcommon wrote:

> (Please excuse if this is a stupid question...)
>
> I am learning Ardour doing some practice on my system (Debian
> stable, RT kernel, RT tuning, MAudio Audiophile 2496 PCI, 3GHz 4core
> CPU, 8GB RAM, JACK buffer 512). Working with a 3min stereo audio
> (24bit, 88.1kHz) I have noticed DSP goes to 100% when exporting
> (WAV)...
> Is it normal (simply Ardour is using all the available resources
> during the export) or something is going wrong (and I will have
> glithces/pops in the output file)?

It's perfectly normal. Export puts Jack in 'freewheeling' mode
which means that it doesn't sync to the soundcard but starts
a new cycle as soon as the previous one has ended (the sound
card output gets 'silence' for output meanwhile, and input is
discarded). So things will run 'as fast as possible' which
means CPU load will go up to 100%.

Ciao,

--
FA