Re: [LAU] Rolling ur own software

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2015 - 09:54:24 EET

On 03/19/2015 02:45 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Mar 2015, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
>
>> Are there any real benefits to building software on your local machine
> vs installing binaries, in this case all largely Ubuntu based?
>
> There are some things you just can't get with ubuntu (probably debian is
> not much different). Linux Sampler, ffmpeg, cdrecord, GCDMaster and non*
> are a few that come to mind. If you follow this list at all, There is a
> time lag from when new stuff comes out and when it appears on Ubuntu, so
> things people announce here are not available for some time.

https://launchpad.net/~kxstudio-debian should contain most missing
parts. If it doesn't then you can always file a request.

>> I've finally got this old mackbook 1,1 (Nov 2006 white 13") running
> linux audio with comparable results to its native OSx 10.6. Whatevah
> Snow LeopRd was. Set up dual boot.
>
> Cool.
>
>> I've removed lots of software I won't use on it like cups, samba, misc
> daemons nibbling away at memory n cycles. Xfce desktop.
>
> I could remove most of those for even my desktop use :)
>
>> Can I gain any performance from building certain software on the
> machine? Mostly, I guess low or more efficient resource usage. Kernel
> included. Right now running SMP lowtatency kernel. I'm still if the
> belief that a RT kernel would be better but obviously in the deb world,
> not so many available.
>
> There is a RT kernel in the Ubuntu repos somewhere (fairly new and
> private, but maitained) I don't think it is there for the last LTS and I
> couldn't find it with casual googling.

Afaik there is no maintained RT kernel PPA repository. Alessio Igor
Bogani used to maintain a PPA and Trisquel did a stab at it, same goes
for KXStudio. It's simply a lot of work.