Re: [LAU] hmm, updated to yoshimi 1.3.3 in debian sid repository AND

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 27 2015 - 08:31:24 EET

On 03/25/2015 10:35 AM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 22:35:29 -1000
> david <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> it shows only one bank?
>>
>> I go Instrument > Show banks, it shows me only a bank named "#42. yoshimi"
>>
>> I go Instrument > Show instruments, it shows me a bank named "42.
>> yoshimi" - and that's it. Clicking arrow beside bank name does nothing.
>> Clicking Refresh banks changes nothing.
>

> This is really strange.
>
> I've just checked with a new build or 1.3.3 as published and it works perfectly.
>
> The only slight irritation (now fixed) is that with a clean install you should
> see "5. Arpeggios" in the dropdown window, but you have to select another
> (from a list of 22!) for the list to be initialised. After that you should have
> no problems.
>
> Can you check that "/usr/local/share/yoshimi/banks" exists? I'm wondering if
> they've left the banks out - I know there was some discussion about whether
> they needed to support both the yoshi and zyn sets.

I checked. "/usr/local/share/yoshimi/banks" doesn't exist. My Aptosid
Debian Sid setup has them here: "/usr/share/yoshimi/banks".

> Try setting up some more root paths pointing to bank sets you know
> you've got.

I just set up a root path to "/usr/local/share/yoshimi/banks". I see
them now. Although I did somehow hit a point where I had set up and
saved my new root, then went to check my root in another window - and my
saved change didn't show there. Anyway, seems to be saved now.

I noticed that there's a root named "./" - what's that supposed to
represent?

I do have a root setup to a yoshimi folder in my home directory. It only
contains instruments, I think. Anyway, even though it's set up as one of
my roots, when I make that one current and click the Instruments button,
I get a new window "Root #2, Bank #5" showing no instruments whatever.
Shouldn't it show the instruments in that folder? There are a bunch there.

I see I've got to poke around more to get used to this somewhat-biggish
change.

>> Oh, so now I have to select a bank, click Make Current, and then I can
>> see the banks?
>
> Form the root paths yes,
>
>> Hmm, seems to me that it would be nice if there was a single "bank" that
>> listed everything. Finding an instrument now means first figuring out
>> which bank it might be in, making that bank the current one, then
>> looking through that bank hoping it contains the instrument I'm looking
>> for ...
>>
>> I think the other way was less cumbersome.
>
> The problem with the old way (although it's still mostly there) is that you
> have no idea which bank of which root you've got an instrument from. Also, two
> totally different instruments could have exactly the same name and ID but be in
> different banks, or roots. Similarly two banks could have the same name (but
> completely different contents) in different roots. With the new method you
> always know exactly where you're getting stuff from.
>
> Finally, I've got into the habit of doing a right-button mouse click. It closes
> one window as you open the other. Like that going up and down through roots,
> banks and instruments is just about instantaneous.

That's a good idea.

I guess this means the full real name of the instrument is now
root/bank/instrument? Makes sense.

> A little bit of icing on the cake is that whenever you change roots it
> automatically selects the first bank it can find, so if you have fave sounds
> give them the lowest location in each bank :)
>
>> Haven't time now to see what impact this might have one instruments in
>> my Rosegarden studio setup, will have to see how that works out.
>
> You should find this a lot nicer. Adding new banks or instruments will *not*
> change the IDs of any existing ones.

Hurrah!

>> Thanks for the update, still the neatest sound maker in the collection!
>
> Thanks :)

:)

--
David W. Jones