Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: David Santamauro <david.santamauro@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2015 - 16:43:05 EEST

On 03/30/2015 09:10 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015, David Santamauro wrote:
>
>> So do these mixers give 16, 18 and 32 discreet input channels over USB
>> (recognized by ALSA) or are only their AUX/MAIN outputs sent over USB
>> to the computer?
>
> The channels are routable. That is you can choose what (if anything)
> goes to the USB line. However, I do not know if the USB xceiver can be
> set to only send a few lines. Routing only 8 channels to USB may mean
> that there are 32 USB lines but only audio on 8. It seems the X32 may
> not come with USB out of the box, that may be an extra card. It comes
> with AES50 OOTB. The Xair does have USB, 18 i/o. There are 11 points on
> the channel strip where the audio can be routed from including raw from
> the ADC to post fader. You can also choose Aux in, fx in and out, bus
> and mains. The Setup page seems to suggest USB can be set to 18 or 2 i/o.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR16

The product description for the X16(air) says:
"X Air Series 16-input StageBox/Rackmount Digital Mixer for iOS/Android
Devices with 8 Programmable Midas Preamps, Integrated Wi-Fi Module,
2-channel USB Interface, and Rackmount Ears"

==> 2-channel USB Interface

So a simple stereo audio interface.

> If I was buying one, I would be tempted to walk into the local music
> store with a laptop and try it out.

Indeed.