Re: [LAU] [ANN] Qtractor 0.6.6 - The Lazy Tachyon is out!

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rui.capela@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 30 2015 - 19:47:41 EEST

On 03/30/2015 05:27 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 16:27:16 +0100
> Rui Nuno Capela <rui.capela@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>>> Definitely seems to be part of Qt.
>>>
>>> https://qt.gitorious.org/qt/qtchooser/source/ae5eeef85c9a818bfa6a3e03511e3935e9abe01f:
>>>
>>> http://qt-project.org/search?search=qtchooser
>>>

>> so i was mistaken when sadd qtchooser is not a qt thing. my bad ;)
>>
>> but the rest of the excuse still applies:
>>
>> the onus of the desired/current QT_SELECT setting should be left to the
>> user and not hard-coded on a configure script, at least for the time being.
>>
>> byee
>

> OK, this now works for me.
>
> Although I can see your argument, it's not much help when the user is quite
> unaware of what the issue is. Before compiling unknown software I *always*
> checkout the README file (if it exists), and there is no mention there of
> possible contention between qt 4 & 5.
>
> Why not simply add something like this at the top:
>
> WARNING
>
> Qtractor is intended to be compiled with qt version 4
> Before running config you may need to enter:
> export QT_SELECT=4

because qtractor is not really intended to be strictly compiled with
qt4. it can be compiled to qt5 as well, only that the former is still
the recommended way (as is the default on configure).

one other problem is that the possible values for QT_SELECT might not be
so simple as either "4" or "5" (is it?). it probably depends on what you
have installed and whether it's provided and available on your distro.
for instance, my distro (opensuse) has no such thing, maybe just yet.
qtchooser doesn't even come with the official/stock/vanilla qt5 binary
packaging (as from qt-project.org and qt.io) which are the ones i've
been testing my qt5 builds. maybe it's considered an extra, an ad-hoc
utility, targeted to distro packagers... i can't really tell.

byee

--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela