Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Apr 01 2015 - 11:25:16 EEST

On Wed, 1 Apr 2015 18:03:08 +1100 (EST), Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>On Wed, April 1, 2015 5:46 am, Chris Caudle wrote:
>> That type of problem is indicative of poor circuit reference
>> conductor routing (colloquially called "ground loop" or "pin 1
>> problem") and can sometimes be improved with judicious use of added
>> wire or copper foil tape connections, but often requires a new and
>> proper PCB layout to correct. It is basically just sloppy layout
>> work by the design team.
>>

>So you are saying that Behringer manufactured and released an entire
>range without testing *any* of them before they went out the door for
>ground loop issues at the board/design level?

Regarding a chronically shortage of money I needed to buy Behringer
gear in the last ten or so years.

When I got a brandnew Behringer Modulizer Pro it caused loud ground
loops, so I sent it back. The repaired Behringer Modulizer doesn't
cause ground loops anymore, but ever since the data wheel jams.

The switching power supply of the Eurorack UB2442FX-Pro is assembled
with capacitors of too less voltage, so when they get broken I
replaced them with the correct capacitors, but the mixer more or less
can't be used anymore, because all switches don't work correctly
anymore. It purposely is designed to fail at the end of the guarantee
period.

The power supply of the ADA8000 gets too hot to mount it in a rack.

The X V-Amp LX1-X plastic case degas, it cause a disgusting smell.
The foot switches are noisy, not in the signal path, but any noise is
unwanted.

Regarding the operability of Behringer gear, a lot of it can't be used
on stage or under deadline pressure. It's tricky to use and sometimes
lettering is difficult to read.

The product range does change very often, after a short time you can't
get it anymore, assumed you like and need one of the products. You even
can't get the free software from their homepage for this gear anymore
and support doesn't reply to a request.

I also own very old brand-name products. It is easy to use those
products, everything is readable and it seldom failed, most of it never
failed and at least some of the stomp boxes for stage usage are still
sold nowadays.

IMO there's only one reason to buy Behringer gear. The sound quality
often is good. It's cheap, so if you don't have much money and you are
aware about the drawbacks, it sometimes is better to get a crappy
device instead of no device.

YMMV!

Regards,
Ralf