Re: [LAU] "spyder" for audio data analysis, etc?

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 10 2015 - 00:26:56 EEST

On 9 April 2015 at 16:30, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 9, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What I'm *NOT* looking for are point tools. I know about, and
> >> have used, many a tool to create time plots, spectrograms, and
> >> frequency plots. My motivation is to learn a bit more about
> >> audio processing theory, and I'm looking for tools that will help
> >> me explore.
> >
> > have you had a look at sonic visualizer/visualiser ?
>
> (from the website): "The aim of Sonic Visualiser is to be the first program
> you reach for when want to study a musical recording rather than simply
> listen to it."

I've used Sonic Visualiser. It's a powerful tool. That's one
way I like to "look" at music. Thanks for that suggestion.

But, I'm after something a little closer to the data than to the
presentation. In industry folks might just reach for Matlab,
and Linux folks usually say, "Try Octave or Scilab." A coworker
recommended spyder, given his cross-platform use of that tool in
the study of A/D converter design, calibration and performance
measurement.

The earlier example I gave was related to music. But, I'm
interested in additional audio fields, e.g. the problems
associated with voice intelligibility in reverberant settings
with multiple signal and multiple noise sources. I'm reading
through journal articles on that these days. I'd like to have
a tool (suite?) that would let me explore for myself. Sage
http://www.sagemath.org/ might be another alternative.

Cheerio...

--
Kevin