Re: [LAU] First multitrack project: midi tracks and plugins

From: Ivan K <ivan_521521@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 09 2015 - 01:01:40 EEST

Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> The problem is that the 'plugin'/soft-synth model is usually thought to
> work per track.

Ok, so that is how things are generally done. At
this point, I am just trying to learn the common practice.

> So I essentially see two options:
> 1. Use a plugin which recognises program change messages
> 2. Use jack midi or alsa midi to connect to a synth able to recognise
> program changes (e.g. fluidsynth obviously with a soundfont which has
> multiple programs)

Ok, thank you for the tips. I imagine, I can also,
grab a portion of the MIDI file, synthesize it outside of
Ardour with something like fluidsyth or AMS, and then
import the resulting .wav into Ardour as an audio track.

Thanks for listening.