Re: [LAU] New hardware setup for recording (not same as existing threads)

From: Dale Kazakore Powell <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue May 26 2015 - 14:05:07 EEST

On 26/05/15 17:19, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Mon, 25 May 2015 17:23:13 -0400, Martin Cracauer wrote:
>> what do I use for analog to ADAT?
> As several people from this mailing list I've got a Behringer ADA8000.
> The power supply gets very hot, so it can't be mounted to a rack, at
> least not without much space below and above the ADA's case. The
> cost-benefit ratio is very good. Perhaps somebody has got experiences
> with the successor ADA8200. IMO the Behringer ADA8000 is ok.

Best practice is to always have 1U above and below any piece of kit if
you have the space anyway. I always try to and if I can't I try and
judge the least heat generating/sensitive pieces of equipment to adjust
position.

I owned a ADA8000 for a few years. Agree they run very hot! Although
mine seemed to intermittently, rather than always. More strangely it
would sometimes start to output a high level pure noise a few minutes
after turning on (possibly frying capacitor noise, or that's what it
reminded me of from repairing VTRs with audio faults.) Turn it and on
again 10 minutes later and it would usually work fine again for a whole
session/day/whatever. I sold it about a year ago and as far as I know it
is still in use today, which slightly surprised me (I had thought it
must be on it's last legs and hadn't plugged it in since migrating from
a desktop to a laptop a couple of years previously.)

Your biggest problem (not you Ralf, but the OP Martin) is that you have
not mentioned your budget anywhere. Would be good to know if you want to
look at Behringer level products or RME/Apogee level products! ;-)

Dale.