Re: [LAU] New hardware setup for recording (not same as existing threads)

From: Michael Jarosch <riotsound@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 30 2015 - 04:03:17 EEST

Am Freitag, den 29.05.2015, 16:37 -0400 schrieb Martin Cracauer:
> So, these cards have multiple optical connectors. That means I can
> just run as many ADAT A/D units as I like? Input and output? And all
> of that will be visible as a single soundcard with many channels in a
> single jack demon? Is that how it works? Without having to make
> software bridges between multiple jack demons?

Yes.
For my HDSP9652, I have 26 inputs and 26 outputs in qjackctl, no matter
how many ADAT-(and S/P-DIF-)devices are actually connected.

> The thing is that I want 4 outputs, too. It seems that 19" units with
> both in and out are rare, so I am aiming for an 8-port in and a 4-port
> out in separate units. That would be all in the same jackd?

Yes.

> What happens if one of the units doesn't do world clock and you mix it
> with world clocked units? How does that end up in the same jackd? Does
> it?

jackd doesn't care about how or if you attached your A/D-converters. It
just shows your soundcard.
But if you use some input with and some input without Wordclock-sync,
you will surely experience lots of dropouts. Not xruns, cause your
soundcard's working fine with jack, the dropouts will come from the
A/D-converters that don't sync with your soundcard.

I tried to keep my Presonus converters in sync via ADAT, exclusively,
and I got dropouts. The manufactures answer was, that I have to use
Wordclock.

Again, I had no problem with that f*** cheap Behringer-device, syncing
it with ADAT. Could be fortune. I don't know. :)

Greets!
Mitsch