Re: [LAU] make a VU meter listen to jack output ports

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 14 2015 - 12:56:33 EEST

On 06/13/2015 11:54 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> * Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden> [2015-06-13 18:48]:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Thanks Rui, I found a greyed out dropdown that reads "Forward". Is there
>>> any documentation on this?
>>>

>> note that you can only set an output to "Forward" to another definet output
>> so called socket--remember that a socket is an ordered set of ports (plugs)
>> in qjackctl patchbay concept.
> I am confused, the only available output sockets that I can add to the
> left window of the patchbay are system capture ports.

you can add output sockets by name or even regex, they don't need to be
currently active client/ports at any given time, just actual names need
to match when they are.

for instance, say that your system output ports resemble Emanuele's, you can

1. add one output_socket_1 for system playback ports out_1 and out_2;
2. add a second one output_socket_2 for same client name (system) ports
out_7 and out_8.
3. then edit output_socket_1 and set it forward to output_socket_2.

save and activate this patchbay profile.

from that moment after anything connectes to system:out_1,2 (main outs)
will automagically also connect to system:out_7,8 (headphones in
Emanuelle's example).

hth.
cheers

--