Re: [LAU] Electrical violin?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 14 2015 - 16:42:52 EEST

> Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 19:57:45 +0200
> From: Gabriel Nordeborn <gabbe.nord@email-addr-hidden>
> To: linux-audio-user <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
> Subject: [LAU] Electrical violin?
>
> Hey everyone!
>
> Does anyone have experience with electrical violins? I might be looking to
> buy one, although I don't know how to play the violin, but I'd really
> really like to have one and try to learn. But, for my girlfriend and
> neighbour's sake, I'm looking primarily at electrical ones.
>
> Does anyone have experience with electrical violins? How much do they
> differ depending on price? I guess it's similar to electrical guitars and
> price depends largely on the quality of the pickups...?
>
> Any experience and advice is very welcome, thanks in advance!
>
> Gabriel
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------

Hi Gabriel,

Just dropping by to share my thoughts. I hope I'm not too late!

I'm a beginner violin student (began taking lessons just a few months
ago). Prior to buying my violin, I had the same questions as you (I
live in an apartment and don't want to bother my neighbors!) I had
considered getting one of the Yamaha Silent Violins, but I couldn't
find it in stores anywhere where I live (Brazil) and if I had really
wanted it, I'd have to import it, and it would become really expensive
(even more so with the crazy import taxes we have here!), so I gave
up. After that, I researched more about acoustic VS. electric violins,
and came to the following conclusions:

- The electric violins in general lack the gentle, characteristic
sound of the acoustic violin. Their main strength seems to be the
possibility of plugging them into an amp, and of applying effects like
distortion and producing sounds similar to electric guitars.

- I also heard that it's better to use an acoustic violin for studying
(for learning how to execute the techniques properly, for example).

- Also, a somewhat decent acoustic violin is much cheaper than a
somewhat decent electric one.

In the end, I settled for an acoustic violin and a metal practice mute
(it reduces sound a lot more than rubber mutes), and I'm very happy
with it so far.

So, if you're like me and prefer the warm and lively acoustic violin
sound, and your only concern is about the neighbors, the acoustic one
with a practice mute should be the better option. But if, rather than
orchestral music, "electric guitar" type sounds with lots of effects
are really your thing, and you really think an acoustic violin isn't
for you, then get an electric one.

I found this video that I think shows a good comparison between
acoustic and electric violins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUEJMp6pbiA

Please forgive the multiple affiliate links inside. I just think the
comparison is useful. I have nothing to do with this video!