Re: [LAU] Behringer and Linux

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 19 2015 - 16:15:22 EEST

On Fri, 19 Jun 2015, Felix Homann wrote:

> Am 19.06.2015 02:23 schrieb "Len Ovens" <len@email-addr-hidden>:
>
> > The line between "audio interface" and "digital mixer" is getting pretty fuzzy.
> There are a number of Audio interfaces that could also be used live digital
> mixers. (have eq and effects and can be controlled by a computer GUI)
>
> How many are there that you can control from Linux, Android, Windows, Mac and
> iOS? How many are there that you can control completely via OSC?
>
> For my purposes the only alternative to the XR18 I know of would be another
> Behringer device, the X32 Rack that I had on my shopping list for quite a while
> last year until I realized that it is too heavy for me: I just would not want to
> carry it around with me to every show.

In general, the big thing with a digital mixer is lots of mic pre. You
have 16. The motu 8M has only 8 but is a class compliant USB2 IF and can
be controled by OSC (I downloaded the OSC spec out of interest) or by
browser. More pres could be added, but at the expense of lugging more
stuff around. I agree that for your purposes The digital mixer is probably
better. Certainly the remote gui for linux has got to be better than a
browser interface.

I have tried the linux mixer gui for the xr18 and it is better than any of
the browser gui I have tried. The android version is not as nice :P

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net