Re: [LAU] [ANN] setBfree v0.8

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 21 2015 - 20:03:32 EEST

On 06/21/2015 06:14 PM, Christopher Arndt wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand or agree with the reasoning behind this. The
> advantage of using an LV2 plug-in is having a unified interface to set
> plug-in parameters and save their state. Mapping MIDI to plug-in
> parameters should ideally be the job of the LV2 host.

Correct. For that to work the host needs to know which parameters can be
automated and the current binding. This information needs to be
host-independent (part of the plugin state), so that it can be re-used
in various hosts across platforms.

Currently LV2 does not officially support saving parameter control bindings.

This is work in progress on the LV2 front, and co-incidentally being
pioneered by setBfree, which can already dynamically export its
control-map and bindings.

LV2 already has a vocabulary in place (http://lv2plug.in/ns/ext/patch/)
but there are no semantics that govern bindings, yet.
With recent liblilv-SVN and Ardour4-git you can already achieve this (by
copying the midnam out-of-band). Note however that this is still very
much work-in-progress.

best,
robin