Re: [LAU] [ANN] setBfree v0.8

From: Albert Graef <aggraef@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 22 2015 - 21:01:51 EEST

On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> > BUT, again, I believe doing the midi-cc mapping on the plugin side is
> > the wrong approach.
>
> Agreed, the idea is to eventually delegate mapping it to the host.

I must confess that I'm guilty of that, too -- my faust-lv2 and faust-vst
plugin architectures for the Faust programming language all do their own
midi cc processing (according to the corresponding hints in the Faust
program), even though in this case all the control values are also exposed
as control ports (and the two work in concert, of course).

In principle most of this could (and should) all be done on the host side
(although there might be special circumstances under which some processing
needs to be done on the plugin side). But right now you can't even be sure
what facilities the host offers for that purpose. Does it support the
midname spec? Does it take corresponding hints from the LV2 manifest? Or
will it simply pass on midi cc's if there are midi input/output ports? Etc.

I admit that I'm confused by the state of affairs in this department, and
I'm probably not the only one. Sounds like a great topic for discussion at
next years' LAC. :)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af