Re: [LAU] Coral - music from Studio D

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 26 2015 - 18:21:57 EEST

On Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:59:36 +0200
Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> Thanks for sharing. I like the harmonic (somewhat modal?), slow harmonic
> flow.

> I'll also have to express an honest doubt about the synth...
>
> >> I've placed the MIDI file online here :
> >>
> >> http://linux-sound.org/midfiles/Coral.mid
> >>
> >> Let the revoicing begin.
>
> And thanks for making it open source ;-)
>
> > Challenge accepted! :)
> >

> I was going to propose Yoshimi.. but Will's email makes me somwhat
> suspect there will be a Yoshimi version :)
>
> Lorenzo.

:)

Actually, I didn't think of the original as a true choral sound, and to me, it
did suggest 'under water' along with the picture. Still, I had quite bit of fun
with this :)

When I saw 4 tracks in the MIDI file I was expecting SATB, which would have
enabled me to use choir sounds that best match those ranges. However, you
really need to have a stern talk with your singers Dave. They were walking all
over each other's ranges quite outrageously. Indeed, I'm surprised there
weren't fisticuffs!

The compromise I worked out was to use 'Another Choir' for track 1, 'Soft Ahh'
for tracks 2 & 4, 'Boy Choir' for track 3.

This still wasn't ideal as the lower notes lacked body, so I made a 5th track
from a merge of all the others, shaved off the top octave or so, and set it to
'Smooth'. This can make quite a nice Mmmm choir.

Here is the final track along with the Rosegarden file and yoshi/zyn patchset.
(you'll see I was able to reinstate the ritardando).

http://www.musically.me.uk/Coral-2.ogg
http://www.musically.me.uk/Coral-2.rg
http://www.musically.me.uk/Coral-2.xmz

I'll leave these files up for a couple of weeks or so.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk