Re: [LAU] Coral - music from Studio D

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jun 30 2015 - 14:30:07 EEST

On 06/26/2015 05:59 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Thanks for sharing. I like the harmonic (somewhat modal?), slow
> harmonic flow.

It's somewhere between modal and tonal. There's no pre-determined scheme
for the harmony, and each part was conceived as its own line, so it's
fair to say that the harmony derived from the counterpoint, not vice-versa.

> I'll also have to express an honest doubt about the synth...

That synth sound really divides opinions. Most responses have indicated
a liking for the composition, but a few have been dissatisfied with the
synth sounds. As I wrote to Paul, I like the sounds, but since making
the MIDI file available anyone is free to revoice it to the heart's
desire. I'm patiently waiting for your version, Lorenzo. :)

>>> I've placed the MIDI file online here :
>>>
>>> http://linux-sound.org/midfiles/Coral.mid
>>>
>>> Let the revoicing begin.
>
> And thanks for making it open source ;-)

Most (all?) my productions are CC-licensed, I welcome anyone's version
of my music. At some point I'll be well beyond caring who uses it for
what, might as well get comfortable with that notion now.

> I was going to propose Yoshimi.. but Will's email makes me somwhat
> suspect there will be a Yoshimi version :)

Suspicions confirmed. Well, you'll just have to use a different synth.
Maybe one from this nice site :

     http://www.linuxsynths.com

Best,

dp