Re: [LAU] Renoise Redux

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 02 2015 - 22:11:01 EEST

On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> I think that that stems from the need/wish to be able to easily recall
> a 'full setup' for a piece. Which I know probably leads to 'session
> management' discussions.
>
> Essentially I think that if people were able to one-click load DAW +
> Sequencer + (their instrument setup) regardless of the fact it is a
> single application or not, that need would be fulfilled. The advantage
> of the non-single-application approach is obviously modularity as well
> as a certain degree of portability.
>
> Personally the does-it-all-daw-sequencer-whatnot paradigm which got so
> popular at beginning of 2000s was one of the aspects which drew me to
> Linux where I could have a sequencer which was a sequencer, a DAW
> which was a DAW, etc. and 'cable' up everything through JACK

I agree. I have never had the expectation that the DAW runs my entire
studio by itself, or that it "swallow" all the other programs.

Session recall would be nice, but then that's something Unix/X11 has
been dreaming of in general for over twenty years, even outside the
world of audio apps. I don't think anyone has ever gotten perfect
application state recall right on any platform (too much cooperation
needed from all developers and all apps).

I guess because of that, I've never fully expected session recall
capability to fully happen, and I'm not disappointed that it hasn't.