Re: [LAU] Job - Germany - Multimedia Hardware Technician

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 06 2015 - 09:30:34 EEST

On Mon, July 6, 2015 4:20 pm, Thomas Janu wrote:
> Hi there,
>

> long-time list lurker here, but I feel I kind of have to chime in here...
>
> On Mon, Jul 6, 2015 at 8:01 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>>

>> However, the reason that I am asking here is because I was under the
>> impression that there were a lot of Germans on this list who like the
>> following:
>>
>> 1: Linux Audio
>> 2: Multimedia hardware and related technology
>> 3: Doing interesting things at interesting locations
>>

> You're most likely right about that, but as was already said, the job
> market is rather good in Germany as a whole, and I personally a) do have a
> good job I don't want to leave and b) know of nobody looking for a job in
> that field.
>

>> The driving thing just happens to be my (apparently false) view of one
>> of
>> the (probably many) things that makes a German go giddy. However it
>> might
>> also be that this list is not representative of the average German as
>> you
>> have rightly stated that there seems to be a lot of people driving in
>> Germany.
>>

> Actually, we Germans quite often make fun of ourselves for how unflexible
> we are regarding work location. Most Germans despise moving, and the
> prevalent mindset at least in my circles is that having a well-paid job
> with lots of travel is worse than having a slightly less well paid job
> without travel - you might have less money, but you can spend your free
> time with friends/family/hobbies instead of in a car.
>

> But I also have to say that if I were looking for a job, honestly, I
> wouldn't have replied to that ad - too many obscure hints at the job
> instead of actual facts ("doing interesting things" in "interesting
> locations" etc.) to take it seriously. There's not even a title of the
> offered position anywhere - should I expect some hardware technician job
> doing repairs? being a salesperson? Both? It's just all too vague.
>
> I do think those are honest mistakes and that you actually do have a job
> offer, but advertised this way I can see it not attracting anyone - try to
> include a couple facts, a job title so people can imagine what they should
> expect, a list of needed qualifications, additional benefits if there are
> any (like a company car if that's a possibility, as that would increase
> the
> target audience [I know _very_ few people without a driver's license, but
> whole lot without a car, as you don't _need_ one in most larger german
> citites. also, if driving is required for the job and you do it in your
> private car it's insurance bureaucracy hell if there's an accident...]).

The simple truth is that giving away too much information on this list is
just not viable. You have already seen the "uber" negative response with a
choice selection of information. No imagine how bad it will be if I
actually give away all the details. People round here find it enjoyable to
spend their time dissecting and criticizing every single Plank Length of
anything they perceive as not meeting their agenda. It's really not worth
the hassle of going that much deeper on this list.

I encourage anyone who is slightly interested to contact me directly.

FYI, I have offered several job/work opportunities to the Linux Audio
community over the years and always found a good match. I will be
surprised if this one does not turn up someone who is "just right" (tm).

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd