Re: [LAU] Job - Germany - Multimedia hardware Technician with Company Vehicle

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 07 2015 - 20:25:47 EEST

On 07/06/2015 04:36 PM, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just in case anyone is still interested and you haven't been scared off by
> all the negativity emanating from the list, I have spoken with my contacts
> and they have agreed that it's no problem to provide a company vehicle if
> requested.
>
> So, If you are looking for an interesting salaried job working with Linux
> (audio) and audio/multimedia technology which also has the opportunity for
> driving around Germany to interesting locations with the option of a
> company vehicle which comes highly recommended by a long time LAU/LAD
> contributor then this may just be the one for you.
>
> I'm not sure there is much more that can be said in public on this list
> but feel free to keep flinging ideas my way. Do you need coffee and
> cigarettes too or donuts and sausages? IIUC Germans like to boil your
> sausages right? Maybe we can include a portable broiler in the vehicle for
> times when you need a quick break? Or maybe we should have an allowance
> for monthly beer expenses. I here that you Germans are fond of beer. So
> driving the company car at high speed on the autobahn while drinking
> copious amounts of free beer and eating boiled sausages should be a pretty
> tempting deal right?

Hint: you are not quite on the right track :)

To be at least a little bit constructive, here's what serious job offers
usually look like (this example taken from the pro event industry):

http://www.service.vplt.org/?cat=biete/job

Google translate will retain enough sense so that you can get the feel
of it, and the level of detail of company and job information that will
allow people to judge if it makes sense for them to apply:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.service.vplt.org%2F%3Fcat%3Dbiete%2Fjob

"Get in touch by private mail for any details at all" is really a bit
ominous - do you really want to play it even remotely like a mail scam?

The absolute minimum of information I would require to take anybody's
job offer seriously is the name and location of the company, the
business sector, and least a brief job description and/or employee profile.

With that information out in the open, you might then also consider to
use other forums in addition to LAU to get a wider range of possible
candidates. Salary details are not usually discussed in job offers,
unless it is a public offering where salaries comply to some legal
regulation, in which case the applicable tariff is mentioned.

Beer and driving are not among the key issues when discussing potential
jobs, nor is the offer of a free company dirndl going to significantly
increase the number of female applicants.

All best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487