Re: [LAU] Interfacing an electric guitar

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jul 19 2015 - 16:43:55 EEST

On Sun, 2015-07-19 at 09:19 -0400, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> I believe there's a guitar processing app out there called something
> like rackarrack or such. Does this work through jackd as in doing
> the audio routing using qjackctl ?

Yes, you can use QjackCtl for the audio connections with Rakarrack and
for the MIDI converter. Rakarrack can convert a monophonic audio signal
from your guitar to MIDI notes, so you can play synths with your
guitar.

> Alternatively if I want the amp's sound and processing, I can simply
> use the amp's headphone out, although I'd like to try the computer
> based only interface and processing.

You can connect a headphone out with a line in. I recommend to do it
that way, to get an input that fits to a guitar output.

The best would be to insert Rakarrack to the guitar amp. Assumed it has
got an insert out, then connect it with a line in of your sound card
and a line out of your sound card with the amp's insert in.

You might be interested in Guitarix too, but don't expect too much from
simulations (neither from Guitarix or any other software or stand alone
device), they have completely nothing in common with what they claim to
simulate, but some simulations might be useful for your usage.

Regards,
Ralf