Re: [LAU] outfitting a computer for songwriting in linux?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Jul 26 2015 - 23:29:05 EEST

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 19:45:04 +0000 (UTC), Ivan K wrote:
>Good luck finding one of those as well. Seriously, am I the only
>one who has noticed that M-Audio has stopped making PCI interfaces?

Second hand! My recommendation would be Envy24, aka ice1712, usually
named 2496 or 24/96 too.

I used TerraTecs for audio and today I use them for MIDI only. I don't
know how the converters of the TerraTec compare to the M-Audio.

[rocketmouse@email-addr-hidden ~]$ amidi -l
Dir Device Name
IO hw:0,0 HDSPMx579bcc MIDI 1
IO hw:1,0 TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI
IO hw:2,0 TerraTec EWX24/96 MIDI
IO hw:3,0,0 USB Device 0x170b:0x11 MIDI 1
IO hw:4,0,0 nanoKONTROL MIDI 1

On Sun, 26 Jul 2015 11:20:25 -0400 (EDT), Karen Lewellen wrote:
>I might even buy two, those features are fantastic!

For MIDI this seems to be a good idea, for audio it's likely tricky to
sync the two cards.

Since I also own two Envy24 cards for MIDI, I must mention a minor
drawback. Since the MIDI ports of the two cards have the same name,
MIDI connections can't be saved and automatically restored, you need to
do it manually.