Re: [LAU] Jack max ports question

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 02 2015 - 17:17:58 EEST

On Sun, Aug 02, 2015 at 08:33:39AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> This response and the previous one simply betray your status as a
> highly technical, highly experienced tinkering nerd (all said in a
> positive, respectful way).

Surely there must be something between 'ignorant by choice' and
'tinkering nerd' ? I'd expect that segment to be most people.

> As for the "GUI inviting them to change it", that GUI included a
> selector labelled "Interface", and other labelled "Capture Device" and
> another labelled "Playback Device".

*That* indeed is very confusing. The simple solution would be
a dialog that presents the single interface first, and an option
for "Split interface" which when clicked changes the presentation
from one to two fields. Or have one field for playback and one
for for capture, the latter set by default to "same as playback".

But if this sort of thing is a problem, then I wonder why
another 'feature' of Qjackctl has survived for so long.

After the user has grokked all about applications and ports
and these things have become familiar and part of his mental
model, he/she may want to use the 'patchbay'.

Which 1) is a misnomer as basic Qjackctl is already the
software equivalent of a real patchbay,
and 2) forces the user to come to terms with a completely new
model consisting of 'sockets' and 'plugs'.

Why on earth doesn't Qjackctl have the simple and very useful
functionality of e.g jack_snapshot ? Or just a button (on the
main window) 'Remember current connections' ??

Ciao,

--
FA