Re: [LAU] Sniffing on MIDI to/from virtualbox

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 09 2015 - 17:43:39 EEST

Atte wrote:
> On 08/08/2015 04:05 PM, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Atte wrote:
>>> When I enable the device in virtualbox, it seems to disappear from the
>>> linux
>>
>> USB devices cannot be shared between host and VM.
>
> Ok. I was just hoping to "listen in" on the traffic. I imagined the bits
> must be running somewhere in my linux system, even though it show up in
> virtualbox.

Virtualbox knows about that data, but it has no interface for you to
access it.

>> Please show the output of "lsusb -v" for this device.
>
> AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
> baInterfaceNr( 0) 1
> Interface Descriptor:
> bInterfaceClass 1 Audio
> bInterfaceSubClass 3 MIDI Streaming
> bInterfaceProtocol 0

This is a plain MIDI device, and there is no other obvious mechanism to
access the device, so it is likely that the software uses MIDI for its
vendor-specific stuff.

Anyway, Virtualbox uses the Linux API to access the real USB controller,
so it should be possible to use usbmon:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt

> bmAttributes 0xa0
> (Bus Powered)