Re: [LAU] Searching for audio interface with software-controlled mic gain

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 25 2015 - 11:21:43 EEST

On 08/25/2015 09:23 AM, Thomas Janu wrote:
> Researching so far led me to the RME Babyface that is said to be supported
> when in class compliant mode - but you seem to need to hold down buttons
> while turning it on, which is a problem as we can't open up the larger
> machinery every time the hardware needs to be restarted.

You can't control the mic gain of the RME Babyface from Linux. It has to
be done on the device itself. Besides, when using the RME Babyface in
class compliant mode it is not possible at all to control anything
remotely as RME does this with its proprietary, closed driver which gets
disabled when using class compliant mode. This is also the reason why
the RME Babyface only works in CC mode with Linux as the RME driver is
not available for Linux. To set the Babyface in CC mode you only have to
push down two buttons at startup once. After that it will stay in CC
mode on consecutive reboots.

Jeremy