Re: [LAU] Problem getting started with Midi editing - no sound!

From: David Sumbler <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 15 2015 - 19:56:56 EEST

Thanks for all your replies. I was on digest (I have now turned this
off), so I didn't get most of the replies until this afternoon.

I'm encouraged, because it seems that much of what I have been doing was
correct - and discouraged, because I still haven't got any sound!

Ralf's suggested running 'aplay -l'. On my desktop computer I get this
output:

> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: VT1708S Digital [VT1708S Digital]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 2: VT1708S HP [VT1708S HP]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: Speaker [USB Speaker], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
> Subdevices: 1/1
> Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I have 2 USB speakers connected to this computer.

When I run 'card=0; killall -9 jackd; jackd -dalsa -dhw:$card -r48000
-p1024 -n2' for each of cards 0, 1 and 2, then open QjackCtl, Qsynth and
Qtractor I typically get:

> jackd: no process found
> jackdmp 1.9.8
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2011 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> audio_reservation_init
> Acquire audio card Audio0
> creating alsa driver ... hw:|hw:|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
> JackEngine::XRun: client = Qtractor was not run: state = 1
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> JackEngine::XRun: client = Qtractor was not run: state = 1
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> JackEngine::XRun: client = Qtractor was not run: state = 1
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> JackEngine::XRun: client = Qtractor was not run: state = 1
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error
> JackEngine::XRun: client = Qtractor was not run: state = 1

Sometimes I get references to Qsynth rather than Qtractor, but never
both. It doesn't seem to depend on which card I am using.
Incidentally, the output always refers to audio card Audio0, even when
$card is set to 1 or 2.

rncbc's suggestions were helpful. I have FluidR3_GM.sf2 loaded in
Qsynth, and I checked that the mid input driver and audio output driver
were as suggested. The rest of the instructions confirmed that I was
importing the midi file correctly and making appropriate connections in
Qtractor.

Thanks also to Bob, Will and Jeremy for suggestions. I haven't actually
got the piano here, so I can't try connecting it at the moment, but in
any case I want to make sure I can get sound from Qtractor or something
similar first.

David