Re: [LAU] Komplete Audio 6 + USB3

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Sep 27 2015 - 19:34:17 EEST

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:01:19 +0100, Will Godfrey wrote:
>On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 17:53:03 +0200
>Nicola Pandini <nicola.pandini@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
>> Hi list! I'm about to purchase a laptop with usb3 only ports (no
>> usb2). I want to use it for live performances, with a full RT-preemt
>> kernel. Has someone already test NI Komplete Audio 6 with USB3? Are
>> there known issues?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Nicola
>

>No problem here. My computer has both USB2 and USB3 KA6 works
>perfectly on both.

I neither own USB 3 nor this IF, nor did I verify if it's backwards
compatible, but regarding a few seconds of web research it seems to be
backwards compatible. If I were you, then Will's experience, the
superuser.com and wiki quotes would be enough to feel secure.

    "It's backwards compatible. Your existing USB 2.0 gear will work on
    version 3.0 ports and vice versa. You'll be able to maximize your
    bandwidth when using a USB 3.0 cable with USB 3.0 devices and
    ports, otherwise plugging a 3.0 device into a 2.0 port or a 2.0
    device into 3.0 a port will get you standard USB 2.0 data rates.

    Since the new interface has been carefully planned from the start
    to peacefully co-exist with its predecessor, the connector itself
    remains mostly the same with the four USB 2.0 contacts in the exact
    same location as before. Extra pins for the new lanes dedicated to
    transmit and receive SuperSpeed data are located on the back and
    only come into contact when mated with a proper USB 3.0 port." -
    http://superuser.com/questions/437687/is-usb-3-0-backwards-compatible

"The USB 3.0 specification was published on 12 November 2008. Its main
goals were to increase the data transfer rate (up to 5 Gbit/s),
decrease power consumption, increase power output, and be backward
compatible with USB 2.0." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_3.0