Re: [LAU] Diagnosing JACK

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Oct 10 2015 - 01:12:23 EEST

On Fri, 9 Oct 2015, Len Ovens wrote:

> When I want to make sure PA is out of the way. PA still runs but desktop
> audio is sent to a dummy output and uses no noticable CPU cycles. In any case
> it has no effect Jack and it's clients.

Just as a side note, there is one jack use where you really want PA not to
be connected and that is when using jack in freewheel mode. This may seem
counter intuitive as no sound is produced. Freewheel mode is used for
audio export as it provides no xruns and normally means a faster export
too. This is not only true of pulseaudio, but also any other method of
desktop audio to jack. (I think I will watch the youtube video while I
wait for this export to finish is just a bad idea)

In many ways having a separate machine for desktop use is a better way to
go, but there are some uses like radio, where mingling desktop audio with
jack (ie, doing an interview over skype) is part of the package. Bridging
Pulse to Jack is one of the best working methods for this. For just using
a normal phone number, Astrisk has a jack driver and that could be used
with zita-j2n and zita-n2j to get sound from the astrisk server to the
studio machine. I figure if you are setting astrisk up it would end up
being the phone system for the whole operation and deserve it's own
machine.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net