Re: [LAU] muse registration fails

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Oct 21 2015 - 17:13:07 EEST

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 06:06:31 -0700 (MST), Menno wrote:
>i have read and filled in the Captcha correctly :))
>
>Any ideas?

Websites using CAPTCHAs are a PITA. You most likely did _not_ enter
the correct text. If you have bad luck it could take days, month,
years, before you entered the correct text. Some CAPTCHAs are easy to
use, but I always feel oppression if I need to enter a CAPTCHA.

Usually it's impossible to distinguish aob from aOb or a0b and some
CAPTCHAs seem to be case-sensitive, at least they use numbers and
letters. Depending to the kind of CAPTCHA an o or O could be a D or c
and a even a t could be a r.

Even some terminal fonts make it impossible to distinguish an I from a
l or a 1.

Unfortunately they use the same CAPTCHAs if a user wants to contact
them.

For Linux only it's easier to request the output of cryptic commands,
users just need to copy and paste from a terminal. Uncomfortable if
somebody wants to register from a mobile phone, or if the command is to
cryptic, e.g. "foo 'bar'" without the quotes is often copied as
               foo 'bar with a mising '