Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2015 - 15:21:26 EEST

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 12:07:50 +0000, Kaza Kore wrote:
>The thing that surprised me the most was seeing the note at the very
>bottom about Jack2 using a default, fixed larger MIDI buffer size
>whereas Jack1's is smaller by default and configurable. I had thought
>from previous conversations on this list (I think mainly
>investigations done by Ralph??) that MIDI buffer/delay/jitter appeared
>to be affected by Jack's audio buffer size. No idea if tests were done
>with Jack1 or Jack2 or how conclusive they were though. Also didn't
>want to take the subject too far way from the original point of
>conversation...

This are apples and bananas ;). I only talked about accuracy of
sync between MIDI events and audio recordings and shift of that sync.
The audio latency indeed has impact to this sync. So yes, in this
context there is a relation between audio latency and MIDI jitter.

More important, Paul Davis several times claimed that I was
mistaken, when 1. he was mistaken or 2. he was to stupid to read quotes
correctly and thought the claim of somebody else was a claim made by
me. Several people just believed his claims and blamed me too. IIRC Len
once was mistaken regarding such a jack thingy.

I never said anything about how long e.g. SysEx data is allowed to be
when using Jack 1 or Jack 2 or to what ever the MIDI buffer is related
or not related.

Regards,
Ralf