Re: [LAU] Migrating from Garage Band to Free Software: Choices?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Oct 27 2015 - 18:40:10 EET

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:43:57 -0430, Luigino Bracci wrote:
>Well, GarageBand can help the amateur musician wanting to do a song
>for a TV commercial for a few bucks, but the musician dreaming to
>create a new, personal style and change the world needs some other
>type of tools.

My impression after using GarageBand just a few minutes is, that it can
be used to easily get a result that deeply impress listeners.
But how many really different songs can you produce using the same
sounds by the same playing techniques?

I'm using tools like Ardour, Qtractor etc. were it takes much longer to
get a result that deeply impress listeners and perhaps the result won't
impress a listener at all, but the result would be what I played,
nothing that is restrained by provided patterns.

>But, as I understand, creating new, free soundfonts (free as in
>freedom) can help solve the problem... am I wrong?

Yes and no. It depends on what you're missing. Sometimes you need
better soundfonts, but sometimes you can't simply play the samples, you
need to add effects and/or edit the MIDI data, or you need special
instruments to play the samples. There are very good MIDI drum sets
available to play drum samples, instead of using a keyboard.

IOW which sounds you used with Linux were not as good, as the sounds you
used with GarageBand?

Perhaps somebody could recommend a good soundfont or effect you could
use with Linux, or a Linux helper tool.