Re: [LAU] Yoshimi - Random Detune

From: Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 03 2015 - 19:28:59 EET

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 09:48:54 +0100 (CET)
"F. Silvain" <silvain@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Will Godfrey, Dec 3 2015:
> > I'm wondering what use (if any) others have made of it, or even if anyone has
> > recognised what it does!
> I haven't used it in Yoshimi, but a few of my hardware synths have the same feature, which I've used a couple of times. In very small amounts it's very useful for emulating acoustic instruments, add some life to the sound and some almost chorussing between sustaining notes.

Yes, it was hardware synths where I first came across this myself. Also, I've
heard of it in software on some 'other' platforms. I've not come across it
anywhere else here (might be just lack of knowledge on my part).

> > Currently this setting isn't saved. It's still classed as an experimental
> > feature. Also, if we keep it and want to save it, should it be an individual
> > instrument parameter or applied for that part in a complete patch set?
> Where it is added more or less directly as a feature, it is normally save as an instrument parameter, which has worked just fine for me. Through mod matrices I've used a similar feature on one oscillator, which might translate to one engine of a patch in Yoshimi. Though there are other features like slop (emulation of analogue detune), which can do the trick there and Yoshimi has the pad synthesis, which sounds very alive and moving. So without having programmed Yoshimi itself, I'd still say having it stored as a setting for a single patch (all engines) sounds sufficient.
> This is not exactly, what you asked, but I hope it's helpful nonetheless.
>
> Ta-ta
> ----
> Ffanci

Always helpful. I'm also rather leaning towards the idea of it being an
instrument parameter, only it would have to be placed where it's really obvious,
or it could cause players considerable alarm!

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)
... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,