Re: [LAU] Yoshimi - Random Detune

From: Bob van der Poel <bob@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 03 2015 - 20:04:01 EET

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey@email-addr-hiddenk
> wrote:

> > ​If you have something like 2 pianos you can detune each one a few cents
> > and get something sounds like 2 pianos (no matter how good the tuner is,
> > he/she will never get them to be exactly the same).​
>
> Hi Bob :)
>
> We can already do that (always have been able to), but that is a fixed
> detune.
> Play the same note repeatedly on the badly tuned 'piano' and it will be
> just as
> badly tuned every time.
>
> This idea doesn't really work with piano type instruments, as every time
> you
> hit the same note it will be slightly different. It should work well with a
> solo violin.

​Would work for reeds/brass as well. I know that on my real saxophone I
never play the same tuning twice ... or so I'm told.

I'm a big fan of small random "fixings" on synth voices. Seems to make them
more real.​

--
**** Listen to my FREE CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob@email-addr-hidden