Re: [LAU] Jack sample-rate

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 12 2015 - 16:57:04 EET

> On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Paul Davis wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 9:07 AM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Dec 2015, Wenger Peter wrote:
>>
>> I use music-tracks with 44100 and 96000 sample-rate. Is
>> it, or will it
>> be possible in future to change the rate on the fly?
>> sample-rate and alternate sample-rate? I do not like
>> resampling. I would
>> like to send (copie) it direkt to calf and then to
>> soundcard (USB).
>> PeterW
>>

>> I am not sure what you mean by this. It is possible to make
>> changes
>> to jacks sample rate if you use jackdbus from jack2, but still
>> only
>> one rate at a time. Jack will not change rate depending on the
>> rate
>> of a sound file. That doesn't make sense (but then neither does
>> 96000).
>>

>> This is incorrect. There is no API to change the SR of a running JACK
>> instance.
>>
>> You can, of course, stop and restart JACK with a new SR, but that's
>> not really
>> what is being requested.

There *is* a way to change the sample rate of a running jack instance,
but it's jack2 + dbus only.

This is by using switch-master.
You can change your entire JACK setup on the fly, including the selected
soundcard.

If you keep the same jack settings but only change the sample rate
you'll effectly change the jack sample-rate on the fly.
Note that JACK2 will call the buffersize and samplerate callbacks to
inform clients of the change.
But yeah, since this was something that JACK was not designed for, *all*
major clients that exist right now do not support this.