Re: [LAU] Yamaha usb midi drivers and Linux?

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 14 2015 - 20:53:30 EET

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 18:45:37 +0000
Harry van Haaren <harryhaaren@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Karen Lewellen <klewellen@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
> > One such tool may be a Yamaha keyboard, with the representative at the
> > store I am visiting sharing that they feel sure the USB drivers for midi
> > in Yamaha do not support Linux?
> >

> Hi,
>
> If its a USB MIDI standard compliant device, then the linux USB MIDI driver
> will work.
>
> If Yamaha ship thier own driver for OsX and Windows, then it probably won't
> work, unless you use a hardware MIDI cable and a seperate MIDI USB dongle.
>
> Hope that helps, -Harry

The earlier USB Yamahas were class compliant (and I think some had both MIDI
and USB). However I expect the 'incompatibility' is probably in the PC based
configuration extras where there would be user-friendly sys-ex stuff etc.
Although not impossible, I'd be surprised if they went to the trouble of going
non-standard at the basic level.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk