Re: [LAU] CPU and mobo

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 19 2015 - 04:22:11 EET

On Sat, 19 Dec 2015, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> this is my current decision, but I'm still missing some information, that I might
> get on Monday.
>
> CPU
> https://www.reichelt.de/PC-Components/CELERON-G1840/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=2&
> ARTICLE=144661&GROUPID=6109&artnr=CELERON+G1840
That chip is up gradable to an i5 quad core or i7 dualcore with HT(pick
the quadcore and watch for i5s with dual core and HT or i3 with are dual
core HT) So good upgrade paths would be either a pentium quadcore of i5
quadcore (for audio).
http://ark.intel.com/products/80800/Intel-Celeron-Processor-G1840-2M-Cache-2_80-GHz

> I suspect for CRTs frequencies > 60Hz are still possible?
The above page does not show crt frequencies. Most of us have moved to
flat screens, I guess. At less than $100 CD, two is normal, but right now
you want to use as much of what you have as you can.

> Mobo
> https://www.reichelt.de/PC-Components/GA-B85M-D3H/3/index.html?&ACTION=3&LA=2&AR
> TICLE=134288&GROUPID=6127&artnr=GA-B85M-D3H
Again the manufacture's web page: (for those who can't read german)
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4567#ov
and manual:
download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-b85m-d3h_e.pdf

> DualBIOS unfortunately has nothing to do with disabling UEFI/Secure boot.

No, but page 27 of the user manual, see "CSM Support", "Boot Mode
Selection", "Storage Boot Option Control" and "Other PCI Device ROM
Priority". The legacy modes should boot your present drive. There also
look to be a number of "performance" and "power saving" features you may
wish to turn off :)

The CPU and the board both seem to handle up to 3 displays (most do).

> Linux compatibility isn't verified, I still have to do it.

Any one else have one? The CPU should be fine, it looks about like what my
son has (running Kubuntu).

> This RAM

I can't help with ram I just picked "some" (8G) and put it in. Two matched
are supposed to be faster as the access can be interleaved, but I just got
a single and it has been "fine" (wonderful word). I have 4 terminals, 2
pdf readers, geany, FF with three pages (close to 40 total) of tabs open
and ardour running with a 17 track session. My system says I am using 1.6G
of 7.5G ram (I guess the 7.5 excludes memory not belonging to my user)
There are various other utilities running too. Swap says 0bytes. (the way
I like it :) swappiness is 10 by default in UbuntuStudio which seems to
work much better than the default 60. All that to say, I think 4G ram
would have been enough for most things.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net