Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2015 - 02:55:00 EET

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015, Karen Lewellen wrote:

> Are you using avlinux, or the other professional audio Linux distribution?
> This is not about commands, but about which of these professional packages
> will produce a command line structure with greatest ease.
> Once installed that is. I have no Linux box or no functional one at all as of
> yet.

I use UbuntuStudio which while built for audio use is sometimes not
considered Pro enough by some people. However, Studio uses the same kernel
as kxstudio which is also Ubuntu based. Kxstudio uses KDE and I have also
installed Kubuntu here which also has VTs. Ubuntu is based strongly on
Debian on which AVLinux is based. SO pretty similar. I can't imagine a
Linux without commandline access. In all the time I have helped people in
IRC, I have never had someone be unable to find a terminal when asked to
run a command line "something". (some people had to be told what to look
for mind you :) ) sh the most basic shell in linux/unix is so much more
powerful than windows/dos CMD, that it is unlikely to be abandoned. Much
of the linux startup is shell based even with systemd or upstart.
Honestly, I think if any Linux was going to not ship shell access, it
would be Ubuntu... so If ubuntu has it anything else should too.

Sorry if it came out like a rant, to put things another way, Audio work
tends to be more like development than many other uses.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net