Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 13:24:52 EET

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 11:39:32 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>On 22/12/15 at 10:56am, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 08:31:58 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>> >"commandline friendly" is totally meaningless
>>
>> No it isn't, depending to the user's needs, the kind of used distro
>> has impact. If a user e.g. wants to use command line mainly to
>> compile software that isn't availbale by the repositories for the
>> packages, then it makes a difference if a user e.g. chose a long
>> term support release distro or a distro that often provide releases
>> or a rolling release.
>>

>Distro are not "long term release", as the phrase says, releases are
>long term support or not.
>Releases and distros have nothing to do with the whole point at all,
>apples and oranges. Repost can be added and source code is available,
>if someone can't manage with repos and source code the problem is not
>the cli he is going to use... but the user itself.
>
>You can happily use bash, zsh, korn or whatever shell you like on your
>distro and compiling has nothing to do with the one you choose.

Please care about the OP's request.

Users could run into dependency hell when compiling from
up-to-date upstream sources, if the distro is meant to provide a steady
work-flow by a long term support release. An Ubuntu LTS, let alone
special business distros, do not provide up-to-date libraries. If the
main reason to use command line is to compile software, then it's wise
to chose a distro that is close to upstream. This is just one example
why "command line friendly" isn't a bad phrase, if you care about a
context.

The OP asks about what is provided out of the box and so
"command line friendly" also means to be able to follow howtos that
explain command line for out of the box usage of distros.

The most common login shell for Linux is bash and absolutely no other
shell, it's just worth to mention dash too, all other shells are in
context to the OP's request absolutely irrelevant.

There could be other reasons to prefer command line over GUIs, e.g.
the need to use Braille. Using audio software that can be used easily
with Braille doesn't require knowledge about the package management or
how to compile. That's why we explained that access to the command line
is easy by all distros, in this context all distros are "command line
friendly".

Regards,
Ralf