Re: [LAU] which lau distro is more commandline friendly?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2015 - 14:27:43 EET

On Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:50:04 +0100, Raffaele Morelli wrote:
>On 22/12/15 at 12:24pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>> >Distro are not "long term release", as the phrase says, releases are
>> >long term support or not.
>> >Releases and distros have nothing to do with the whole point at all,
>> >apples and oranges. Repost can be added and source code is
>> >available, if someone can't manage with repos and source code the
>> >problem is not the cli he is going to use... but the user itself.
>> >
>> >You can happily use bash, zsh, korn or whatever shell you like on
>> >your distro and compiling has nothing to do with the one you
>> >choose.
>>
>> Please care about the OP's request.
>>
>> Users could run into dependency hell when compiling from
>> up-to-date upstream sources, if the distro is meant to provide a
>> steady work-flow by a long term support release. An Ubuntu LTS, let
>> alone special business distros, do not provide up-to-date libraries.
>> If the main reason to use command line is to compile software, then
>> it's wise to chose a distro that is close to upstream. This is just
>> one example why "command line friendly" isn't a bad phrase, if you
>> care about a context.
>>
>AGain, you are completely missing the "long term support" thing and
>mixing apples and oranges, LTS are freezed in terms of new features
>upgrades. On the opposite a non LTS release is not freezed so
>dependencies are kept up-to-date.

That's why in this context (compiling from upstream) using command line
is more user-friendly when not using a LTS release.

>> The OP asks about what is provided out of the box and so
>> "command line friendly" also means to be able to follow howtos that
>> explain command line for out of the box usage of distros.
>>
>> The most common login shell for Linux is bash and absolutely no other
>> shell, it's just worth to mention dash too, all other shells are in
>> context to the OP's request absolutely irrelevant.
>
>Nope, you can change login shell whenever you want, bash is just the
>default one. man chsh

That's why most distros are user-friendly in this context, since howtos
usually assume that bash is the login shell. Bash usually is the default
and the OP asks for out of the box usage.

[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# bash -c "apt-get purge linux-{headers,image}-4.2.0-22-lowlatency"
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
  linux-headers-4.2.0-22
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  linux-headers-4.2.0-22-lowlatency* linux-headers-lowlatency* linux-image-4.2.0-22-lowlatency*
  linux-image-lowlatency* linux-lowlatency*
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 220 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

[root@email-addr-hidden ~]# dash -c "apt-get purge linux-{headers,image}-4.2.0-22-lowlatency"
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package linux-{headers,image}-4.2.0-22-lowlatency
E: Regex compilation error - Invalid content of \{\}
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'linux-{headers,image}-4.2.0-22-lowlatency'

Assumed a distro would not use bash as login shell out of the box, then
following howtos could become harder to understand.

>I wrote that shell is independent about the OP request, compiling is
>just the same on zsh, korn, sh, dash etc etc... you raised this
>obscure correlation with cli (command line) and the LTS thing.
>

>> There could be other reasons to prefer command line over GUIs, e.g.
>> the need to use Braille. Using audio software that can be used easily
>> with Braille doesn't require knowledge about the package management
>> or how to compile. That's why we explained that access to the
>> command line is easy by all distros, in this context all distros are
>> "command line friendly".
>>

>Turn of the "spreading confusion" from your default choice Ralf ;-)

You spread FUD, if you claim that there is no difference regarding
user-friendliness for command line usage. It depends to the context, to the
reason why a user does chose a distro.

Regards,
Ralf

--