Re: [LAU] MIDI over wifi on Linux, revisited

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 04 2016 - 01:30:31 EET

On Sat, 2 Jan 2016, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:

> For midi over a network have a look at
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RTP_MIDI
> https://code.google.com/p/midikit/

RTP_midi is supposed to be standard and does (if fully
implemented) have error checking. The other standard is ipmidi (see
qmidinet) ipMIDI does not make sure of 100%... it would have to be
tunneled through tcp to get that. UDP tunneled through tcp on a local LAN
may be acceptable timing wise for your purposes, I don't know.

MIDI, unlike audio, must have 100% reliablility to be
useful. That reliablilty is first that all events must reach the other
side and second timing needs to be preserved. A small miss in timing while
anoying, is tolerable. A missing byte is not. One missing byte = either a
missing event or a malformed event that can change the meaning of that
event. (even from a note off to a note on)

Both RTP_midi and ipmidi sit on top of other IP protocols and are
therefore wifi compatible.

I am guessing ssh or telnet over wifi (if set to binary) may work just as
well too. I don't know if you need ssh or not. If you are willing to do a
bit of programming, making a jack client connected to a tcp server/client
should be easy enough though. I have not played with netjack and do not
know how reliable that is for MIDI. I have not had trouble with Xruns
though which would be the same thing.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net