Re: [LAU] noise reduction

From: Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 25 2016 - 10:29:37 EET

Hi Atte,

On 23/01/2016 12:13, Atte wrote:
> Hi
>
> I remember the noise reduction provided by Sound Forge years ago. The
> idea was the the user selected a portion of the waveform that contained
> *only* the noise, then the software would remove this from the entire
> recording. It worked quite well AFAIR.

I also remember Sound Forge's noise reduction plug-in which I used years
ago on 78 rpms to do some light cleaning/declicking at uni (that's more
than 10 years ago...)

> Anything similar available in the linux eco system?
>
> Sorry if I overlooked something obvious...

When searching for a Linux alternative I remember pretty good results
with Gnome Wave Cleaner [1]. Not sure if it's maintained and if it still
works though, haven't used it in a while..

Also if it's hiss, as others suggested you might manage with just EQ?

Lorenzo.

[1] http://gwc.sourceforge.net/