Re: [LAU] Ardour: use case for monitor plug-in ?

From: <jonetsu@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 13 2016 - 01:10:50 EET

On Fri, 12 Feb 2016 22:36:58 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> If I understand correctly what you mean, then I must disagree.

> The purpose of room correction is to improve your monitoring.
> So if it's done well, your monitors plus room plus correction
> become the reference. The whole point is that the correction
> provides better monitoring, and then there is no reason to
> ever switch it off, regard it as 'temporary', or think that
> without correction you'd get a better mix. It becomes part
> of your studio, and users shouldn't even know it's there.

I see. Setting this up would include playing sine waves of various
frequencies and detecting room behaviour, so to speak.

> Of course you could set up a room correction by manually
> tweaking things until you get a more pleasing result on
> an existing mix, but by doing that you'd just be fooling
> yourself. That's not how it should be done.

That's clear.

> > Is there a way to calibrate this ?

> Use the measurements and procedures as explained in the DRC
> manual. You end up with two (for stereo) impulse responses
> which can be used by any convolution engine, e.g. jconvolver.

Googling this gives 'Digital Room Correction'. There is a sourceforge
project:

http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/doc/drc.html

Can you briefly describe what DRC consists of and what does the
procedure consists of ?