Re: [LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2016 - 03:04:45 EET

On Sat, 13 Feb 2016, jonetsu@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> The system is Linux Mint 17. A 'ps aux' shows:

sudo apt-get install linux-lowlatency for a start. (I would imagine you
have linux-generic right now) also install rtirq.

As you are running a delta1010 (I think), sudo edit /etc/default/rtirq...
the line that says:
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="something something"
to:
RTIRQ_NAME_LIST="snd_ice1712"

Never run jackd as root. (you may not be able to run as a user after
wards which, as someone else already said, you have to do in order to use it)

speaking of jackd... if you used Software Centre to install it... sudo mv
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf.disabled /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf
and probably add yourself to the audio group before loggin out and back
in. (Software center does not install jackd correctly)

If you have more than one PCI slot, and cat /proc/interrupts shows
snd_ice1712 sharing an interrupt with something else you might try moving
it to another slot (sharing with fasteoi* is ok it seems).

people say it is worth while building a true realtime kernel by patching
the mainline and rebuilding, but I have not done that, I do turn cron off
while recording though as that seems to help... with a RT kernel that
shouldn't be needed.

Do change your CPU governor from OnDemand to Performance. Even running the
cpu at the lowest speed possible (800Mhz normally) seems to work better
than the faster OnDemand. So if you have trouble with heat (you shouldn't
as you should not be doing 100% cpu load while doing audio) it is better
to set the CPU governor to UserSpace and set the speed to a steady lower
speed where temperature is ok.

Do find out how to change "swappiness" to 10 rather than 60 so the kernel
doesn't start preemptive swapping even though it is using less than half
your RAM :P

If you want to run Jack really low (16/2 or 32/2) it may be worthwhile
turning hyperthreading off. I have found a difference at those latencies,
but not at 64/2 which is normally good enough.

That is the short list, I may have missed something.

Finally, the ice1712 based AIs like you have are able to do 1-2ms
monitoring. If you are hearing delay, you are not using HW monitoring.
Some of the input signal is going through your recording chain as well. Or
to put it another way you are not _just_ using HW monitoring. I have made
this mistake often enough to know :)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net