Re: [LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ?

From: Brett McCoy <idragosani@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2016 - 04:17:05 EET

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 7:37 PM, Daniel Sheeler <dsheeler@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> What does it mean for a soundcard to provide hardware monitoring? And
> when you monitor a recording, don't you want to hear a signal coming
> from the DAW instead of bypassing it or something? I'm just generally
> confused about what is meant by HW monitoring :D.

Hardware monitoring is definitely a good thing, especially if you are
recording from external sources to existing material. If you have a vocal
or an instrument being recorded, you want the hardware to send the monitor
signal back out rather than route into the software and then back out, that
introduces latency and additional resources on the CPU. A good sound
interface with zero-latency monitoring usually provides some sort of mixing
interface for the hardware so you can create a monitor mix of the
pre-recorded material coming from the DAW and the incoming live audio.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com