Re: [LAU] (Ardour) How to get rid of delay when recording ?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 14 2016 - 15:37:03 EET

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 07:37:08PM -0600, Daniel Sheeler wrote:

> What does it mean for a soundcard to provide hardware monitoring?  And
> when you monitor a recording, don't you want to hear a signal coming
> from the DAW instead of bypassing it or something?  I'm just generally
> confused about what is meant by HW monitoring :D.

It means that the input signal of the soundcard (which goes to
the new track you are recording) is also added to the soundcard's
output signal (the previous tracks) without having to pass via
the PC, i.e. without any delay. It's the normal way to monitor
a new track when recording via a mixer, but many sound cards,
even simple ones, can do this as well.

--
FA