Re: [LAU] Updated to kernel 4.4.1, missing module snd_ice1712 -> no more envy24 support?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 20 2016 - 19:58:04 EET

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016, Menno wrote:

> okay, i have to read this over a couple of times before i can get my head
> around this. But a lot your elaborate answer!
>
> I'm still stuck in the phase that not much has changed in 8 years in terms
> of "just getting the processed data out much faster". And i'm stuck in the
> phase that says that things would get better and better :P
>
> I'm using Csound and Blue when i work with audio, and i would like to render
> the output in realtime. I jst need speed !

The question then is what is "real time" for you? What latency are you
running now? If you take a low cpu synth what is the lowest latency you
can run at without xruns (what is the lowest latency you can run jackd for
some hours at doing nothing with no xruns)? Are you already using a
lowlatency or real time kernel? As I said before, speed is generally not
the question though speed can help. Certainly more speed in the basic
processor itself will help provided the cpu is not using tricks to acheive
throughput that damage latency. Also stay away from MB where the main
claim to fame is low power use as you will want to turn almost any power
saving stuff off for reliable low latency audio use anyway.

Some people are able to work with as high as jackd running 256/2 for real
time use, I need 128/2 minimum and prefer at least 64/2. This not zero
latency but small latency (there is no such thing as zero latency even
with all analog gear. The air adds latency at least which our brain just
deals with).

So far you have not told us what latency you use now or how low you have
tried to run. I have been able to do low latency audio (guitarix at 64/2)
with no xruns on a single core atom running at 1.5Ghz. (disclaimer, there
were some of the default presets that did cause xruns, but most not) Your
system should be able to do better. If you can run your current setup with
less processing requirements at a reasonable latency (internel intel HDA
may not be able to go below 64/3 for latency anyway), then adding more
processing power may help. If your workflow allows the use of multi-cores
even better. Use jackd2 should help some.

So, what are you doing now? What interface? how low can you run jack? What
sample rate (48k should be fine)? Also, I don't know C sound or Blue well,
is there buffer size adjustments inside these applications as well?

It would be nice if you left the questions you are replying to in your
answering email as well.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net